Saturday, July 18, 2015

Childhood- A free bird

Sun was going down and we were unwilling to go back to home, after all it was summer vacation and I was at my grandmother’s place, miles away from crowd of city. Finally the call came, my grandfather was calling us to come back. While returning we saw some parrots flying around the banyan tree, it seemed unusual, so we decided to go there. There was a baby parrot down near the roots of tree. We became very excited and took it to our home. To keep him alive my granny took so many efforts, fed him milk using cotton, kept him warm, the entire concentration was on him after all he was a family member now.
Time passed, we grew older and so did our mitthu (my parrot). We kept him in cage, no don’t get it wrong, we never wanted to captivate him, this was done just to protect him from cats. One morning when granny woke up, and went to feed him as daily routine she saw him missing from the cage. She searched for him and he was found in our courtyard. He didn’t fly, he never learnt how to fly. He never had a free childhood, he was never guided by his parents, and his childhood went in cage. Although we taught him how to talk but never taught him how to fly, how to explore the sky, because we were unable to.
The same thing will happen if we keep the childhood caged. It is like a bird which must be left free, free to laugh, free to enjoy, free to explore, the only thing its needs a little guidance, Just like bird who needs guidance to learn flying. Birds never tell their children the limit then why us. Childhood is like flowing water, let it flow, if you will try to make it stagnant for sure it will lose its purity, its speed, and in long run everything. It will be better to go with the flow, you may learn many new things. The only thing you need is to tell the flowing water (your child) is how to tackle obstacles which come in between without losing his faith. You guide him with your experience and in return he will show you a new world which he has in his heart. Let him dream, answer all his questions no matter how silly they are. Give him opportunity to do what he wishes to, be with him as a guide but never say “no, you can’t you are too young to do this”.
Let me narrate you a small story again. While trying to make first cup of tea in my life, I burnt my hand. I was in class 4 then. When my mother returned from office I was very terrified that she will scold me for going in kitchen in her absence but somehow I grabbed courage and went to her and told her everything. The reply which I got made me strong. “Beta hands getting burnt is a part of cooking, don’t worry about that. It is good that you tried. Come with me I will show you how to make tea properly.” If she wouldn’t have supported me then, I would never have learnt how to cook.
The only thing which I would like to say is be your child’s friend, he will open up to you and will share his feelings. If you try to instruct him or order him he will never open up to you. If you want the flow to go smooth without obstacles be its supporter. Let childhood be free.
                                         Free Bird

Don’t build dams, let the river flow.
Let the breeze of childhood blow.
Move along with its pace.
It will bring smile on your face.
Let him grow with freedom of mind.
Don’t be strict be a little kind.
Childhood has its own grace.
Let him grow slow,childhood is not a race



No comments:

Post a Comment